EMT Course Information
Unified Fire Authority EMT Course Information
Salt Lake County Emergency Operations Center
3380 South 900 West
Salt Lake City, UT, 84119
This is a part-time 8 week EMT course. It will run Tuesday’s and Thursday’s from 1800-2200 hours, and Saturday’s from 0800-1600 hours.
The first day of class is Tuesday June 10, 2014 and the final day is August 2, 2014.
After successfully completing this course, you must pass the Utah State Bureau of EMS certifications exams in order to be certified as an EMT. The course by itself does not certify you; the Utah State Bureau of EMS is the certifying body.
This EMT course is an intensive fast paced course that will teach the student Basic Life Support knowledge and skills needed to begin working in the Emergency Medical Services. Due to the fast paced, intensive nature of the course, it is imperative that the student attend all scheduled classes, has good study habits, and is willing and able to put their focus into the course.
- Registration application and deposit are due prior to June 10, 2014.
- Withdrawal or dismissal from the course prior to June 10, 2014 will be eligible for a 50% refund of course fees. After June 10, 2014 no refund will be given.
- Class Dates: Refer to Course Outline
EJ Hinterman 801-326-9267
Jared Wayman 801 381-3581
Rob Marriott 801-870-5128
Jared Wayman JWayman@UFA-SLCO.ORG
Tyson Mcquiston TMcquiston@UFA-SLCO.ORG
- $150.00 Non-refundable deposit due within five business days of online registration (payable to: Unified Fire Authority.)
- Payment can be paid online, by mail, or hand delivered to the Salt Lake County Emergency Operations Center.
- $900.00 Due on first day of class
- State application and testing fees
- Class shirt
- Blood pressure cuff
- CPR class the first night
- An additional fee of $50.00 is required if you have lived outside the
state of Utah in the last five years. This fee is due on first day of
There are six written exams during the course and several practical skills exams as well. The student must pass all written exams with a 75% or better score and pass all practical skills to the satisfaction of the course staff. If a student is having difficulty with either the written exams or practical exams they will be placed on probation and given remediation to assist with the difficulties. If after remediation and probation the student is unable to meet the expectations of
the course, they will be dismissed from the course and not recommended to the Utah State Bureau of EMS for certification (see “Course Requirements” link below).
Students will be required to attend all scheduled classes.
The EMT course is a hands-on, skill oriented course. You will be in close proximity and contact with other students. Students will participate in all aspects of the course. Students will be evaluated in such areas as dependability, attitude, maturity, the ability to relate to others, and ability to achieve acceptable performance levels.
All applications will be completed the first night of class.
Please review the Utah State Bureau of EMS “Declaration of Understanding of Technical, Academic, and Physical Standards for the EMT” at the link below. You must be able to meet all of the requirements in this document.
Declaration of Understanding of Technical, Academic, and Physical Standard for the EMT
First Night of Class
Please bring with you the following items the first night of class.
- Utah State picture ID
- Tuition payment of $900.00
- DOCUMENTATION OF A TB TEST COMPLETED WITHIN THE LAST YEAR. This test can be done at any physician’s office or clinic.
- If you do not have the above items you will be dismissed from the Course immediately.
- Registration must be completed online.
- Criminal Background Check
- The Utah State Bureau of EMS will perform a background check on all individuals who submit an application to become an EMT. It is the student’s responsibility to verify their eligibility for certification with the Utah State Bureau of EMS if the student has ever been convicted of a
crime. If you have questions or concerns please contact the Utah State Bureau of EMS at the link below.
Criminal Background Prescreening Application
The Utah State Bureau of EMS is the certifying body for EMT’s. This EMT Course by itself does not certify the student. Upon successful completion of this Course the student is eligible to take the Utah State Bureau of EMS certification exams.
The Unified Fire Authority does not guarantee certification by the Utah State Bureau of EMS
For more information about EMS certifications, go to the Bureau of EMS