Utah Fireworks and Open Burning Information
No aerial fireworks shall be discharged within 300 feet of restricted areas due to the risk of wind and extremely dry vegetation.
Click here for 2012 Fireworks and Open Burning Restrictions Interactive Map.
Click here for the 2012 UFA restricted fireworks area map.
Click here for the Utah State Fire Restriction Order (2012) supporting documents.
Click here for the Herriman city restricted fireworks area map and ordinance.
Click here for the Aerial Fireworks Restriction for City of Holladay.
Due to volatile fire conditions in the state, on June 14, 2012 the State Forester for the State of Utah issued a statewide ‘Fire Restriction Order’ prohibiting the following until the order is rescinded:
- Setting, building, attending or using open fires of any kind except campfires built within the facilities provided…in improved campgrounds, picnic areas or permanently improved places of habitation.
- Discharging of fireworks, tracer ammunition, or other pyrotechnic devices.
- Cutting, welding or grinding of metals in areas of dry vegetation.
- The use of steel jacketed or steel core ammunition of any caliber.
- Use of exploding targets that are detonated when struck by a projectile such as a bullet.
This ‘Fire Restriction Order’ (amended for Salt Lake County 6/23/2012) applies to all areas in Salt Lake County indicated by the “red colored” layer on the ‘2012 Fireworks & Open Burning restrictions’ map.
The following are exempted from the above prohibitions:
1) Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act at a specific location.
*Please view the map and supporting document links above for more information.
During the 2012 legislative session, House Bill 33, Firework Amendments tweaked the year-old modifications from the 2011 session, which legalized aerial cakes. 2012’s HB33 lessens the days and times which fireworks can be legally discharged similar to the 1993 year standard.
HB33 called for the following changes to be made to the state firework law effective March 15, 2012:
Click here to download the fireworks pamphlet. (Pamphlets are also available at every UFA fire station.)
Click here for station locations.
Click here to download the Fireworks Stands, Mercantile Sales training material.